Forms & Documents
The forms and documents are listed by subject, in alphabetical order.
- Manual of Business Methods in Church Affairs - From The Episcopal Church, provides information and advice on sound, practical internal controls, accounting guidelines, and business practices.
- Records Management - Records Retention and Management policies from The Episcopal Church.
- For information regarding the Diocesan Annual Meeting, please visit the "Convention" page.
- For the forms required from each church's Annual Meeting, please scroll down on this page to "Certificate of Election" and "Church Officials Form".
Attorney Work/Charges: Policy for Charges to Congregations and Related Entities for Attorney Work - Adopted August 17, 2019
For information regarding Auditing an Alms Fund, please see "Alms Fund", above.
For information regarding Auditing an Alms Fund, please see "Alms Fund", above.
Background Checks: Background checks will be conducted on all clergy. Churches are strongly encouraged to conduct background checks of their employees and volunteers in order to verify the absence of any current or past Sexual Misconduct allegations, criminal record, professional misconduct or paraphiliac behavior.
- Churches are responsible for running their own background checks on non-clergy employees, volunteers, etc. We recommend Oxford Documents or Praesidium. It’s a background check that’s includes criminal (national, state AND local), sexual predator, SSN trace, and a reference check. If the job requires driving for anything (ex: errands), a driving check is required. If the job requires dealing with or handling money, a credit check is required. Please work with either Oxford Documents or Praesidium to set up your account for conducting background checks. Please contact The Rev. Cn. Sandy Graham with any questions regarding background checks.
Canons: Please click HERE for the Diocesan Canons. For additional Diocesan legal documents, please see "Legal", below.
Catechists: Please visit the "Licensed Ministries" page.
- 2020 Minimum Clergy Compensation Benefit Policy - As approved at the 51st Annual Meeting of Convention on October 26, 2019.
- 2020 Supply Clergy Compensation - A breakdown of the pertinent section of the 2020 Minimum Clergy Compensation Benefit Policy approved at the 51st Annual Meeting of Convention on October 26, 2019.
- Sample Clergy Housing Allowance Designation (Own Home) - Sample resolution for adoption by Vestry/Bishop's Committee.2020_tech_supply_clergy_compensation.pdf
- Sample Clergy Housing Allowance Designation (Rent Home) - Sample resolution for adoption by Vestry/Bishop's Committee.
- Additional information is also available on the Diocese's "Church Pension Fund" page.
Communion: Click here for the Diocesan Guidelines for Receiving Holy Communion
Compensation Review: Compensation Review Committee Report Form - Report from Compensation Review Committee to fulfill Diocesan Canon 38.2.
- Confirmation/ Reception/ Baptism/ Reaffirmation - This is the form to be completed for services conducted by the Bishop.
- Confirmation - Minimum Requirements for Young Persons for confirming youth in the Diocese.
- Template youth letter to Bishop - A template for youth to write the letter to Bishop Fitzpatrick before being confirmed.
- Certificate of Confirmation - This is a form fillable PDF that you can print on card stock.
Conflict of Interest: Episcopal Diocese of Hawai'i Conflict of Interest Policy - Adopted 5/11/2019
Constitution: Please click HERE for the Constitution of the Episcopal Diocese of Hawaii. For additional legal documents, please see "Legal", below.
Continuing Education: Please visit the "Continuing Education" page.
Contracts (Construction and Repair)
- Checklist for Contracts - A checklist to help remind you of the necessary documentation prior to submitting to the Diocese for approval.
- Diocesan Policy for Construction and Repair Contracts - Read this to make sure you're meeting the Diocese's requirements.
- Dealing with Outside Contractors - Helpful suggestions and recommendations to help reduce construction and maintenance risks. Issued by the Church Insurance Agency.
- Construction Addendum - This addendum is to be used if you receive a bid/proposal/quote, but no actual contract from the contractor, and attached to bid/proposal/quote.
- Construction Agreement (over $50,000) - The agreement form (including exhibits and provisions) between The Episcopal Church in Hawai`i and a Contractor.
- Loans Checklist & Loan Request Form - A checklist and request form for you to use if you need to take out a loan for your project.
Convention: Please visit the "Convention" page for all forms and documents related to the Diocesan Annual Meeting of Convention.
Customary: This is The Diocesan Customary for the Diocese of Hawai'i.
- Church Directory - Downloadable by Clergy, Church Administrators, and Vestries/Bishop's Committees. Please note: a password is required to open this document. Please contact Denise for your password.
- Clergy Directory - Downloadable by clergy only. Please note: a password is required to open this document. Please contact Denise for your password.
Disaster Preparedness: The Disaster Preparedness Handbook is the most current version. The forms and leaflets at the back of the Handbook can be printed for use in implementing the plan.
- If you'd like to see the diocesan Employee Handbook, please see "Handbooks", below.
- For information on background checks, which are required for all employees, please see "Background Checks", above.
- You may also want to see "Insurance" or "Clergy Compensation" for other employment-related information
- Form I-9 and Instructions - Employment Eligibility Verification Form (required)
- Form W-4 - Government Tax Withholding Form (required)
- Form HW-4 - Hawaii State Tax Withholding Form (required)
- New Hire Reporting - Instructions for reporting new hires (required)
- New Employee Checklist - A helpful template of a checklist to be used when hiring new employees.
- IRS Pub 1779 - Independent Contract or Employee
- IRS Pub 15-A - Employer's Supplemental Tax Guide - Independent Contractor or Employee?
Eucharistic Ministers and Visitors: Please visit the "Licensed Ministries" page.
Fundraising: The Fundraising Policy for churches, schools, and any ancillary groups of the Diocese adopted August 17, 2019
Gifts, Planned: Please visit the "Stewardship & Planned Giving" page.
- Grant Funding Guidelines (valid 2019) - Includes Diocesan grant funding information, eligibility criteria, and submission process. For a grant budget template, please click HERE for an Excel spreadsheet. Submit by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 Grant Submission Deadlines: Fri, Feb 22; Fri, Mar 29; Fri, Apr 26; Fri, May 31; Fri, June 28; Fri, July 26; Fri, Aug 30; Fri, Sept 27; Fri, Oct 25; Fri, Nov 29; Fri, Dec 27
- Disaster Preparedness Handbook - The Diocese's Disaster Preparedness Handbook. Forms and leaflets at the back of the Handbook can be used for implementing the plan.
- Employee Handbook for the Diocesan Support Center - Churches may adapt it for their own use, but the final version should be checked with an employment attorney.
- Manual of Business Methods in Church Affairs - Provides information and advice on sound, practical internal controls, accounting guidelines, and business practices.
- Vestry Resource Guide - Available from the Episcopal Church Foundation and recommended for every vestry and Bishop's Committee member. Topics covered include leading a community of faith, origins of conflict, stewardship, and navigating transitions in clergy leadership.
Insurance, Medical - Medical insurance coverage is required of all employees working 20 or more hours per week.
- Medical Premium 2018 - Medical Premium rates will take effect July 1, 2018. Plan changes – i.e., among the PPP, HPH, and Dental HMO to/from PPP (can only be done during open enrollment which ended June 15, 2018). Benefit Plan Comparisons are included in this letter.
- Also check the "Contracts for Construction and Repair" (above) and "Leases" (below) sections for insurance information as it relates to them.
- Risk Management and Insurance Basics - Do you need Directors' & Officers' Liability Insurance? What is excess or umbrella liability insurance? Learn about risk management and insurance basics from this document published by Church Insurance Agency.
- Stained Glass Care and Prevention - How should you preserve your stained glass? Read this document to learn how.
- Fine Arts Appraisal - A tool to help churches understand how to catalog and value their fine arts inventory.
- Parish Inventory - A risk management tool to help congregations list and track assets, from furnishings and vestments to brass and silver.
- Emergency Evacuation Plan and Insurance - A guide with an Emergency Management Action Plan and Fire Safety Plan, including what actions to take after a fire.
- Recommendations for Automobiles Used for Church Sponsored Activities - A one-page document with recommendations when renting or using personal autos for church-sponsored activities.
- The Management of Investments for the Pooled Endowment Fund of the Episcopal Diocese of Hawai‘i (2017) - The fund, its objectives and how it functions.
- Description of the Investment Portfolio of the Diocese - Diocesan Investment Funds: its description, use, and restrictions.
- Statement of Investment Objectives and Policy Guidelines (March 2019) - Regarding the pooled endowment fund of The Episcopal Church in Hawai‘i.
- Endowment Funds Deposit Request Form - CURRENT
- Endowment Funds Deposit Request Form - NEW
- Endowment Funds Withdrawal Request Form
Journals - For Journals for past Annual Meetings of the Diocesan Convention, please visit the "Past Meetings of Convention" page.
Leases and Licenses - If you'll be licensing or leasing space to activities or programs that involve children, please contact Rae Costa, Business Manager, for additional information and paperwork.
- Checklist for Licenses or Leases - A checklist to help remind you of the required documentation prior to submitting for approval.
- Diocesan Policy for Leases and Licenses - Read this to make sure you're meeting the Diocese's requirements.
- Use of Church Property by Outside Groups - Recommendations and checklist regarding the use of church property by outside groups.
- Lease Review Instructions - Instructions regarding conducting a lease review.
- Application for Use of Church Facilities - The form to be completed by outside groups to apply for single use of church facilities or property.
- License Agreement Template - The legal agreement to be used when allowing use of church property on a non-exclusive, regular, on-going basis.
- Template for Lease - Please contact Rae Costa (email@example.com or 536-7776, ext. 326) for this template.
- Rental Agreement - The standard rental agreement form from the Hawai‘i Association of Realtors.
Legacy Society: Ho`ike Ulu Legacy Society (brochure) - Have you remembered an Episcopal ministry (church, program, etc) in your estate plan? If so, you are a member of the Diocese's Ho'ike Ulu Legacy Society. Learn more about Planning Giving.
Legal - Legal documents for the Episcopal Church in Hawai'i (TECH), which is the legal, corporate name of the Diocese.
Licensed Ministries: Please visit the "Licensed Ministries" page.
- If you aren’t already a Religious Marriage Performer licensed by the State of Hawai'i, register here: https://emrs.ehawaii.gov/emrs/public/registration.html.
- Declaration of Intention for Marriage - In the Diocese of Hawai'i, all couples are expected to complete and sign the Declaration of Intention form. When either or both of those entering into marriage have gone through a divorce, the clergyperson submits a copy of this form to Bishop Fitzpatrick, along with the Request to Officiate at and Bless a Marriage (below) and other documenting paperwork.
- Request to Officiate at and Bless a Marriage - If one or both of those being married have been divorced, this form is to be completed by the clergyperson who will perform the ceremony. Submit it with a copy of the signed Declaration of Intention for Marriage (above) and other documenting paperwork.
- "The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage", page 423 from the Book of Common Prayer - rite may be used at officiating clergyperson's discretion
- "The Witnessing and Blessing of a Marriage" from authorized liturgies in "I Will Bless You, and You Will Be a Blessing" - rite may be used at officiating clergyperson's discretion
- "The Celebration and Blessing of a Marriage 2" from authorized liturgies in "I Will Bless You, and You Will Be a Blessing" - rite may be used at officiating clergyperson's discretion
Membership, Congregational: Click HERE for the Bishop's Pastoral Memo on Congregational Membership.
Membership, Transfer of: Please click HERE for instructions and a sample template.
Ordination: Please visit the "Ordination Process" page.
- Parochial Report Memo - The memo regarding the 2017 Parochial Report, including instructions. *Please note: Online filing begins January 4, 2018.
- General Convention Letter - A letter from The General Convention of The Episcopal Church regarding the 2017 Parochial Report.
- General Instructions for the 2017 Parochial Report - General instructions regarding how to complete the online Parochial Report.
- Parochial Report Form (2017) - The annual form that must be completed by each congregation. Due date: March 1, 2018.
- Workbook: Membership, Attendance and Services - This Workbook will help you complete page 2 of the Parochial Report Form, which is focused on Membership, Attendance and Services.
- Workbook: Stewardship and Financial Information - The Workbook will help you complete page 3 of the Parochial Report, which is focused on Stewardship and Financial Information.
- Employee Guide - contains the various investment options and the beneficiary form. This guide is mailed to an employee’s home once they are enrolled into the plan by Fidelity Investments.
- Employer Guide (for the Defined Contribution Plan) - Contains the Employee Application form and the Adoption Agreement.
- Clergy Employees - Please visit the "Church Pension Fund" page.
Planned Giving: Please visit the "Stewardship & Planned Giving" page.
Prayer Calendar: Please visit the "Prayer Calendar" page for the list.
- You may also want to review "Contracts", "Disaster Preparedness", "Insurance" and "Leases" on this page.
- Diocesan Policy Regarding Sale of Real Property - How the sale of property held by the Diocese is to function; includes Alienation of Property Policy.
Reaffirmation and Reception
Safe Church: Please visit our Safe Church Trainings page.
Social Media Policy: The Social Media Policy contains suggested practices for social media use in the Episcopal Diocese of Hawaiʻi- Adopted 5/11/2019
Stewardship: Please visit the Stewardship & Planned Giving page.
Supply Clergy: Please visit the Supply Clergy page.
Videoconference: This Video- and Tele- Conference Etiquette guide provides tipson how to improve your video- and tele-conference meetings.
Thrift Shop: This Thrift Shop Memo explains laws limiting what church thrift shops may sell/re-sell regarding children's products. There is no exception for charities, including church thrift stores.
- For travel-related reimbursements, please see the "Reimbursements" section, above.
- Inter-island Air Only Travel Procedures - procedures for making Diocesan Support Center approved inter-island air travel reservations through the Diocesan Air Travel Coordinator.
Travel - Youth
- Youth AIR Travel Approval Form – To be used by Coordinators of youth events in the Diocese that require INTER-ISLAND travel.
- Youth Transportation Request for Funds – To be used by Coordinators of youth events in the Diocese that require LAND transportation.
- Youth Travel Scholarship Application – To be completed by youth applying for a scholarship to help pay for the cost of inter-island airfare to events within the Diocese.
- Form to Complete - This online form must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the scheduled Visitation.
- Guidelines - Guidelines to help you plan for the Bishop's Visitation.
- Visitation Checklist - A checklist of the documents the Bishop reviews during the Visitation.
- Diocesan Customary - A memo from the Bishop regarding the Rites and Liturgies, Holy Baptism and Holy Communion, the authorized Lectionary, and meetings that could be scheduled during the Visitation.